Ready In: 30 mins
· 1 pound Chinese snake beans
· 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
· 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
· 2 scallions (spring onions, green onions), white parts only
· 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
· 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
· 1/2 teaspoon sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
· Pepper to taste, optional
· 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
Wash the snake beans, drain thoroughly, and trim the tops and bottoms.
Cut the beans on the diagonal into slices approximately 2 inches long.
Chop the garlic, ginger and white part of the scallions.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the beans and stir-fry until they start to shrivel or "pucker" and turn brown (5 - 7 minutes). Remove the beans and drain in a colander or on paper towels.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and scallions. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the chili paste and stir-fry for a few more seconds until aromatic. Add the and the remaining ingredients. Mix together and serve.