· 1 lb (450 g) Sze Gua or about 1 or 2 squash (see note below)
· 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach or baby bok choy, sliced
· 3 tbsp (45 mL) oyster sauce
· 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
· 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sugar
· 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
· 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut oil
· 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped garlic
· 1/2 tsp (2 mL) white pepper
- Peel the ridges and skin off the Sze Gua (or its substitute) Cut the it into 2-inch slices; cut those pieces into quarters lengthwise. Set aside. Wash and dry the spinach or bok choy; set aside.
- Mix together the oyster sauce, water, sugar and salt; set aside.
- Heat a skillet or wok to hot and add the peanut oil. Add the garlic and stir fry briefly. Add the Sze Gua and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook about 1 more minute.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture and cook, stirring another 1 to 2 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the Sze Gua pieces are tender.
- Sprinkle with the white pepper and serve with cooked rice.