2 cups Shredded winter melon, white gourd, white pumpkin….
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tablespoons Ghee or Butter
2 drops of food color (I used Yellow)
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla or Pineapple or Almond Extract (Optional)
1. Heat the Ghee or Butter in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add the shredded Ash gourd and stir fry.
3. Cook until the gourd turns glossy. Stir frequently.
4. Add the Sugar and mix well.
5. The sugar will dissolve in the water released by ash gourd. So there is no need for any kind of liquid.
6. Reduce the heat and allow simmering.
7. Let it simmer till all the liquid evaporates and the sugar syrup starts to form single string consistency.
8. Keep stirring every now and then.
9. Add the cardamom powder and the extract (if using) at the end.
10. Turn off the heat and store in a sterilized jar. Use as a spread or a Dessert. Decorate with toasted Cashew and other nuts if desired.