1 pound Chinese winter melon, peeled and cut into 1/2 slices
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 slice bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
1/2 cup sliced onion
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon dried shrimp
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Rinse winter melon slices; drain in colander. Sprinkle liberally with salt and set aside.
- Rinse dried shrimp briefly under running water. Soak in enough warm water to cover at least 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a wok or large pot, heat oil over medium high heat until just smoking.
- Add bacon; fry until just beginning to render fat. Add onion, garlic and shrimp. Add sugar, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until onion just begins to turn translucent, about one minute.
- Add winter melon; toss to coat. Stir-fry about 30 seconds. Add chicken Stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until melon is just fork-tender, about ten minutes.
- Check seasonings, add sesame oil and serve at once.