1 kg (2.2 lb) Kohlrabi (ganth gobhi), only bulbs
1 1/4 cups (250 ml) 9 oz Mustard (sarson) oil
3 tbsp Red chilli powder
2 tsp (4 g) Ginger powder (sonth)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
3 tbsp Mustard seeds (rai)
1 tsp (1 1/2 g) Carom (ajwain) seeds
Salt to taste
1. Wash the kohlrabi. Dry with a soft cloth and cut the bulb into half. Make 1/2 inch - thick slices, without peeling. Dry these slices in the sun for 3 - 4 hours.
2. Heat half the oil in a pan; cool and then put aside. In the remaining oil, mix all the spices well with hand.
3. Add the slices of kohlrabi. Mix well so that the slices are well coated with the paste.
4. Take a large dry jar and put the spiced slices and any extra oil in the pot, in it. Seal with a polyfilm and then put on the lid.
5. Keep this jar in the sun for 4 - 6 days (in winter) and 2-3 days (in summer). At first the level of oil will rise in the jar and will then settle down.
6. When the oil settles down, pour the remaining oil into it so that the kohlrabi slices are covered with oil.
7. Keep in the sun for a few more days.