Ready In: 30 mins
• 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 to 3 small green onions, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
• 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and gratedA pinch of red pepper flakes
• 1 ½ pounds young carrots, sliced
• 1/2 inch thick1 tsp fine sea salt
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1-inch piece of turmeric root, peeled and grated (or use ½ tsp ground)
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 4 cups (1 quart) filtered water
• ¼ cup plain yogurt or full fat coconut milk for serving
• Chopped flat leaf parsley or carrot fronds for garnish
• Melt coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
• Sweat the green onions, garlic, minced ginger, and pepper flakes for 1 to 2 minutes or just until glossy.
• Do not brown or develop color.Add carrots, salt, cinnamon and turmeric and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until carrots are very soft, 20-25 minutes.
• Puree soup in batches in a high speed blender.If serving cold, chill soup for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
• Divide soup between 4 to 6 bowls and place a spoonful of yogurt or drizzle of coconut milk in center of each and finish with chopped parsley or carrot fonds and a pinch of additional salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.